Sunday, March 06, 2005

I drove all night...

Tonight I filmed the mother of this community that I have been staying at for the last three days. She designed the homes and was the main force behind pulling this project through to completion. She planned to live here for the rest of her life. But she no longer lives here, and is still carrying a lot of pain over how the community developed. Most would consider this community a success, it was built, it is full, most of the people are happy to be here. The filming seemed like a very therapeutic experience for her. Often the people I film seem to get more form the experience than I do, and I have been getting a lot from the people I have been filming.

I drove all night...
I wanted to spend a night in the redwoods on my way to San Francisco, so I checked out a couple of campgrounds on the way, they were ok, but $25, twenty five bucks to put my tent up on a patch of dirt for a few hours. I just couldn’t abide. So I continued down highway one, perhaps the curviest highway in the world. All my belongings were being slammed around my car as I pushed my little hybrid for all it was worth. I used to love driving highway one, when I rode motorcycles. But in a car it’s just a pain, especially in a car full of stuff. I rembered there being a hostel in a lighthouse north of the city, so I kept on pushing into the dark, to the road to lighthouse. Finally a sighn says 7 miles. I can do that. After about six miles another sign says 17 miles. Ugh! I am beat, but I have got to keep pushing. I have noticed that someone has messed with several of the signs along this highway. Another 16 miles of slow, winding, tired driving, and I don’t seem to be getting any closer, then I see the sign, Point Reyes Lighthouse 20 miles. Oh I am dying. It is almost midnight, I have been driving all day, my car and I am tired. I start looking for a hotel. The next thing I know I am on the Golden Gate Bridge, heading into San Francisco. Soon I would have a bed and sleep.
The Bay Area was really the only visit I had set up before I left. A friend had just moved to a community. I tried calling him in the morning. And for the next two days, and never reached him. Just confirms my suspicions, it is better not to plan, but to ride the flow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home